Beatus
Menu
Search
Search
Menu
Book
Book

The milestones of BEATUS' history since 1628

1628

Today's BEATUS hotel at its current location was first mentioned in Merligen under the name «zum Bären».

1779

The hotel changed names once again and was called «zum Löwen». German poet Johann Wolfgang Goethe visited Merligen on his way to Italy.

1857

The «zum Löwen» hotel was turned into a guesthouse.

1873

A street was opened that connected Thun and Interlaken to Merligen.

1876

The «zum Löwen» guesthouse constructed a pier for steamboats.

1883

The «zum Löwen» was renamed «BEATUS».

1898

A large fire raged in Merligen. The «BEATUS» was spared. Carl Seegers purchased the hotel and rebuilt it. Ferdinand Hodler and Curt Goetz were amongst the most prominent guests of the hotel BEATUS during this era.

1958

Hugo Frey-Forster (Kleider Frey) purchased the Hotel BEATUS.

1961

The hotel was rebuilt once more in its current style as a 5-star hotel.

1986

Businessmen from Bern purchased the Hotel BEATUS.

1993

Heiner Lutz and Laurenz Schmid purchased the Hotel BEATUS and renovated all the rooms and the restaurant area.

1994

The outdoor salt-water pool at the Hotel BEATUS was opened.

1998 - 2003

The BEATUS became a wellness pioneer: In 1998, the sauna park «Classic» was christened, followed by the «Vitalità» in 2001 and the «Bamboo» in 2003.

1999

For the first time, BEATUS remained open year round, 365 days a year.

2004 - 2005

The west wing was totally renovated including three wellness suites. One year later, the Table d'hôtes Restaurants was also restored.

2006

The treatment rooms Rasul and Alpienne, as well as three additional massage rooms, were christened.

2008

The first floor was renovated and the rooms were expanded with the addition of French balconies and the opening of a library.

2009

The second floor was renovated and the See Lounge lake-view parlour was opened.

2010

The rooms on the third floor were renovated.

2013

The hotel lobby and the panorama hall were modernised and expanded. The fitness machines were replaced with the latest technology.

2014

The BEATUS Wellness & Spa Hotel was sold to Heiner Lutz's brother, Jürg Lutz, and his sons Julian and Ambros.

Rooms 202–205/302-305/402-405 as well as 219 and 319 were comprehensively renovated and modernised. Two new tower suites and a loft suite were created.

2016

Nine rooms on the 4th floor were renovated and modernised. The room category "Eiger" was created.

2017

Newly-constructed underground car park, installation of 3 Tesla parking spaces and completion of parking areas on Innerdorfstrasse in Merligen. Renovation of the Empiresaal. Barrier-free access also created. Conversion of the hotel’s entire lock/entry system to electronic key cards. 

2018

Revision of the salt-water pool with minor modifications.